...goes a long way, especially when I'm thinking about brands, brand management and the power of brands to build successful organizations and careers.

Monday, May 01, 2006

Entrepreneurs trip out of the blocks


Stan DeVaughn is singing a sweet tune in his latest post over at Branding Post blog. In his post about the long distance between "vast vision and a half-vast go-to-market effort," he zooms in on the lack of a brand. "Hint: It's not about the logo" he writes.

In my post about short-sighted entrepreneurs a few weeks ago, I thought this was because most entrepreneurs are in love with their ideas and can't believe that anybody wouldn't also love them. In fact, these are the same business owners who believe that a great product can sell itself and marketing is something you do after you make a few sales.

One more great tip for start-ups from Branding Post: branding "demands that you see through the target’s eyes, stand in his loafers, and know precisely how he describes and feels the problem you profess to solve for him."

Wow. That takes a lot of work, a lot of vision and a lot of humility.

Technorati Tags: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post caught my eye too. I immediately thought of you as I read it.

Your right on target that humility is key. Even if not a product, too many times business people "think" they are their own customer.

Aside: Am I going to find you commenting on my site as soon as I hit send here? :-)

11:51 PM

 
Blogger Mark True said...

No way, man. I'm working hard, making a living today! My blogging time is usually after 10 p.m.!

10:45 AM

 
Blogger Stan DeVaughn said...

This is why the first slide of any investor pitch must address an issue that's become a punchline and a cliche: "What problem do you solve?" The rest of the pitch will be received in direct proportion to the interest aroused in the answer.

11:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home