...goes a long way, especially when I'm thinking about brands, brand management and the power of brands to build successful organizations and careers.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Another brand disconnect

Mike Sansone shares a story about his recent visit to CompUSA, and the disconnect between promise and performance. It's another example of what happens when truth is not part of the brand. In this case, CompuUSA thought branding meant a good tagline. They didn't understand that the tagline is part of the promise, and that they have to live up to that promise. They didn't empower the employees to make good decisions and make the brand stronger by meeting that promise.

I've given CompUSA several opportunities over the years to meet that promise, and they never had. They'll go on that unwritten list of brands that are no longer relevant to me.

Which brands are on your list?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Qwest (tag: Spirit of Service). When I first went into business, I called Qwest about business VOIP. The service rep asked how many minutes I'd need.

I reminded her it was a new business and asked what levels were available. She didn't answer that question, but quoted flatly $500 month. She asked one question to find out my needs.

When I asked why other companies could offer something at a tenth of that, she said I'd have to ask them.

I thanked her for her permission to call the competition - and did.

At least Panera still loves me:-)

7:37 PM

 
Blogger Olivier Blanchard said...

Comp USA has terrible customer service. Their return policy sucks, their employees act bored and annoyed, and they're a perfect example of what NOT to do.

7:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home